Is your child bully proof?


Onegaishimasu Parents,


Bullying, by my definition, is any attempt from one or more persons to assert power over another psychologically through manipulation and/or threats of aggression both physical and mental.


Every year in October (or about one month into the school year) schools, we notice an increase in mean, aggressive, manipulative and dominating behaviour (bullying). Typically this behaviour would be displayed at school, or in our streets, and playgrounds, and while the issue of cyber security for our children is always present, the massive surge in online learning and the need to spend more time in front of screens has only added a greater need for a raised level of awareness for both ourselves and our children.


At Keiko Dojo we take this issue very seriously, and firmly believe every child has the right to a safe learning environment at school, at home, in the playgrounds, and online. Children can’t learn when they are scared!!!


While we will be helping to educate our Keiko families on cyber protection for our children, as part of our comprehensive Bully awareness modules, we will also cover abduction prevention for our Dragons and Ninja students. We call this our Tricky Tricksters!!! These are people who may not be what they appear to be, with bad intentions towards your child. We are going to educate not only your children, but you as well. We will get you involved with the scenarios we do for every class….They may save you and your child one day.


Parents, we see very little and get told very little of what really goes on in the playgrounds, in the hallways at school, and behind the scenes. We probably only really know of about 20% of what goes on, the other 80% is hidden from us. Here’s why….. Children tend to be reluctant to tell their parents. We all have to look carefully for the tell-tale signs that our child may be bullied, because even just one incident can destroy a child's self esteem for the rest of their life. I appreciate a more proactive approach over anything reactive and feel one of the best ways to keep our children safe is by creating a feeling of ease, through open dialogue so they can feel comfortable in having difficult discussions with us.


This may be a bit surprising to hear but we alone, cannot stop bullying, only with the help of our children can we put an end to this.  While we can do everything to support them, like responsive adults and a good reporting system, it is really the kids that have to stop it. 

Standing up to a bully can be a huge confidence and self esteem builder!

It is extremely empowering when a child can stand up for themselves and say "no" to something they know in their heart is wrong.  Even better, once a child knows they can stand up for themselves they cannot help but stand up for others.  This will shoot their confidence and courage out the roof!


Just remember this key: Bullies only need two things to survive:  "Silence" and "Secrecy"!  Once either of those two elements are taken away they cannot exist!


Have an amazing week

Sensei

And your Keiko TEAM

6 views

ABOUT US

Serving the Brampton area community and their children since 2003.

CONTACT US

Email. info@keikoryudo.ca

Phone. (647)-828-1969

255 Queen St E #2

Brampton, ON L6W 2B8

Keiko Martial Arts 2020 | Privacy Policy

© 2020 by O&A Creatives

NAVIGATION

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Google+ Social Icon